Wednesday, July 16, 2008

One Last Project


During the last week I've been focused on creating artwork for my stepsister's Ketubah. A ketubah is a traditional Jewish marriage contract. They are a very special document which is illustrated and which contains a text, sometimes traditional, sometimes chosen by the couple, to reinforce their vows. I am illustrating the ketubah with symbols that are both timeless, and specific to the couple's experience and values. This is my wedding present to them. It's special because they are going to have this in their house for the rest of their lives. When they look at it they will remember their wedding vows and the things that brought them together. I feel very honored to be contributing to their lives in this way. 
I'm doing the piece on 18"x24" watercolor paper. I drew everything out beforehand and now I am in the process of painting and filling in. I'm really enjoying it.

This is the last art project I will do before I move. After this is finished I am going to pack up all of my supplies (and everything else I own) and get ready for the trek. I've already moved everything out of my studio, so I'm working at home for this project.

No comments: